Sarah: With nary a piece of fairy bread in sight, last week Bridge8 celebrated 5 years of providing foresight and science /technology communications services across Australia. Surrounded by a fabulous turnout of clients and supporters at our new King William Road (Adelaide) office, we patted ourselves on the backs for multiple notable achievements over 2004-2009, including:
Strategic Foresight – Scenario Thinking and Industry Development:
- Applied scenario visualisation processes to help the Northern Territory Government consider land usage towards the year 2050;
- Worked with industry and research institutions to map advanced manufacturing capabilities in research and development for the State Government of South Australia;
- Facilitated a national industry response to the development of a code of conduct for the responsible development of nanotechnology;
- Performed strategy development for agriculture and wine industries, including for the Royal Melbourne Wine show.
Marketing and Communication – Strategic Approach, Crafting Messages, Public Science Engagment and Science 2.0:
- Worked with BHPBiliton scientists and engineers to improve their communication capabilities and techniques;
- Worked with Nanotechnology Victoria to develop, refine and deliver marketing and communication materials, including blogs, podcasts, website content, brochures, booklets and reports;
- Continue to write regular blogs, designs podcasts, and provide information and start conversations about science innovation and leadership through online science communities [converse with us on twitter through @sciencesarah, @kristinalford, @AlexandraSmart, @b8travels, or become a fan of bridge8 on facebook]
Using advanced technology for social enterprise:
- Developed and facilitated the ‘Weaving with Light’ project, exploring the provision of access and information about new technologies to socially disadvantaged groups.
- CEO Kristin Alford has board membership on the Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT);
- Co-sponsored the Graffiti Research Lab at the 2008 Adelaide Bank Festival of Arts.
Science and Technology Education:
- Developed the innovative ‘Utility Fog’ workshop, which encourages an examination of the social impacts of new technologies;
- Worked with teachers and lead marketing and communication activities relating to the award-winning nanotechnology school resource SHINE;
- Worked with the Australian Office of Nanotechnology to lead production, design, content formulation, marketing and communication activities generating the national nanotechnology school resource AccessNano and the roll-out of associated teacher Professional Development;
- Designed and delivered content on chemical reactions and emerging technologies for Oxford University Press text books ‘Big Ideas’ Science 2 & 3.
We finished up by eating way too much of Jenna’s homemade number 8-shaped chocolate cake, and making sure no champagne went to waste. Happy Birthday Bridge8!